By Megan Aldous
- They can restore a normal heart rhythm in victims of sudden cardiac arrest.
2. Chances of survival reduce 10% every minute a defibrillator isn’t attached to someone who has suffered a cardiac arrest.
3. Using a defibrillator is second in the chain of surviving a cardiac arrest.
4. 60,000 cardiac arrests happen every year, almost half of these occur outside of hospitals, so it is crucial there are defibrillators in public areas.
5. Without defibrillators public events are not allowed to take place, due to health and safety regulations.